Date:      28 Apr 2002 10:42:01 -0000
From:      atk2@arctic.org
To:        atk2@arctic.org, scott.mitchell@mail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: checking hard disk -- hdparm like tool?

The motherboard is an A7V333 (new board) that has a VT8233a for south bridge
which supports ata133 (aka UDMA 6). The bios indicates the drive is UDMA 6
enabled.

My original email suggested that maybe FreeBSD doesn't detect/understand the
VT8233a and is reverting to UDMA 2 - could this be the case?

the atapci0 line reads:

Apr 27 18:48:34 pc1 /kernel: atapci0: <VIA Apollo ATA controller> port 0xb400-0xb40f irq 0 at device 17.1 on pci 0

I am 100% sure there is an 80pin cable in. I tried a 40pin cable and the bios
immediately detected the difference. I also tried another OS.

Oh well any/all suggestions would be useful...

Alan