Date:      Sun, 08 Apr 2001 08:03:59 -0400
From:      Dale Chulhan - Home <dchulhan@uwi.tt>
To:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Follow up: More Win vs NIX

This guy seems to be really persistant and dug me into a hole here ...
help

============

Dale, please check your sources before you post third party information,
or
at least try and do some of your own research before you cross post.

1. The following OSes are examples of Monolithic UNIX Kernels:Linux,
FreeBSD
and Solaris to name the most popular.
        Can you name any commercial/mainstream UNIX OS that comes
microkernel out
of the box, apart from GNU Hurd?
        I emphasize the point by quoting the previous author:
"Unix does not use a monolithic kernel. Most Unix implementations
do,....."
<- does this guy know what he is really saying??
        He goes further by saying: "there is no reason why it can't run
on a
microkernel"<- again showing that it does not.
        Yes, I admit that you don't have to reboot for SOME driver
installations
(you can compile and load drivers at runtime), but the fact remains that
the
fundamental problem of a bloated kernel and of having to LOAD drivers
and
services into ring 0 still exists.

2. SunView was available in 1985 not 1984, after Ms released Windows
1.0.
Please see the comp.unix newsgroup for the latest version of the UNIX
FAQ.
You can use the following for references.
Archive-name: unix-faq/faq/part6
Version: $Id: part6,v 2.9 1996/06/11 13:07:56 tmatimar Exp $
        X was first commercially released in 1986. see the front page of
the
www.x.org website.

3. True, Mac OS-X uses a mach kernel, not a monolithic one. But if you
want
to call Max OS-X UNIX.. be my guest.

4. Yes, many RFCs were developed on the UNIX system. However Kerberos
was
not ported as the author says, it was written according to RFC. In fact
most
UNIX guys complain about Microsoft's non-standard implementation of
Kerberos
because they used 5 reserved bytes in the protocol....
Lest we stray from the original point, that Microsoft has been allegedly
stealing from UNIX from day one. There is a reason why people write
RFCs...

5. The fact that the author thinks that the Windows interface is the
least
user friendly just shows that he may need to find a proctologist to
locate
his head.

6. I stand corrected on the IP Address change. I always rebooted after I
run
ifconfig. I was not aware that reloading the interface after running
ifconfig on Linux would avoid having to reboot.

 However, according to Sun Documentation: http://docs.sun.com, the
reccomended procedure involves running sys-unconfig and rebooting.