Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:01:03 +0200
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?U8OpYmFzdGllbiBNb3JhbmQ=?= <seb.morand@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation on AMD64

S=C3=A9bastien Morand wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> So before reinstalling everything, I'd like to know :
> Is it a reasonable choice (in terme of performance, reliability, and
> compatibility terms) to install i386 over amd64 arch?

For a desktop i386 is still the better choice and unless you have more th=
an 3G=20
of RAM there are no downsides, but many advantages. E.g. acpi sleep state=
s are=20
only implemented for i386. I'm running amd64 on my notebook and the price=
 is=20
high. No suspend to ram or to disk (even though I have s4bios support), a=
nd=20
not even cpu stepping (at least not the clock speed stepping only idle ca=
lls=20
and they make /no/ difference at all).

All these things would work if I ran i386, but I want to be there when th=
ey=20
start working on amd64.