Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:01:36 +0100
From:      Andrew Grillet <andrew@grillet.co.uk>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems

Hi

I have done a CVSup to fetch ports and stable over a fresh install of
FreeBSD 4.8.

When building Gnome (2.4.0) I had problems with gstreamer requiring an
old version of gnomeui. 2.00 instead of 2.4.

I patched the makefile for gstreamer and gstreamer-plugins, to version
2.4.0 and it now gnome compiles OK (subject to having enough disk space
:-)

BUT what I want to know is

WHY IN GODS NAME DO I HAVE TO SPEND TWO DAYS COMPILING AUDIO STUFF FOR A
MACHINE WITH NO SOUND HARDWARE?

Surely the default should be that there is no sound support - who needs
sound in a business environment? Or do people think it deters their
employees surfing porn sites?

I think there is a more general problem here: Surely Gnome should not be
dependent on things like mozilla - it should integrate them if they are
present, but if they aren't. it should not fetch them and compile them
- many of us use different applications, or have no need of an
equivalent application on machines used for a specific purpose. It is
annoying to find the Gui hauls in every application known to the
developers. (If its any consellation - I have had the same moan at the
KDE team several times :-)

regards

Andrew

regards