Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 1995 16:05:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware for ISP / WWW server

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Joe Greco wrote:

> Oh, the pain.  :-/  Basically I've been on the "other side of the glass" a
> lot of times as I have seen a lot of people who are exasperated with (X, Y,
> Z, combination of, etc.) about the Portmasters.  That is not to say that
> they do not fill their intended purpose,

Well, if they fill their intended purpose, then they must be a good
thing, eh?

> but they do seem to me to be the
> VW Bug of terminal servers (everybody has 'em, nobody likes 'em, everybody
> has to open the trunk and tinker every once in a while in order to work
> around quirks).

And I suppose your FreeBSD solution doesn't require you to open the trunk
and tinker every once in a while in order to work around quirks?

Lets face it, Portmasters are like any other quality high-tech equipment.
They are great when they work, but can be a pain to learn what they can
do and how to make them do what you want. If you have the time to spend
on it, there is nothing wrong with setting up a FreeBSD terminal server,
especially if you use a hacked login to act as a RADIUS client to your
shell machine. But some ISP's don't have the time to spend on this and
for those people a Livingston Portmaster is a great solution. That's
probably why most of the people on the Portmaster Users list are ISP's.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com