Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 19:38:12 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>, fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UUNET vs Netcom

>> > We left UUNET for sprint.  UUNET had much better customer service, but
>> > with sprint we rarily need any customer service whereas with UUNET we did
>> > (they dropped alot etc)
>>
>> On the other hand, Sprint seems to have a lot of routing problems...
>
>I dont agree.  Sprint is often blamed for routing problems, but most
>problems, when tracerouted etc were at MAE points.  And places like
>ftp.cdrom.com no long route thru them etc.

   The routing issues with Sprint seem to have improved a little, but it
wasn't but just a few months ago that the Sprint network flapped so badly
that it was usuable. I think these problems have mostly been isolated and
dealt with (there was a flakey router in Dallas/FW that was lots of trouble,
plus various IOS problems in DC and Stockton). I was very happy when my
ISP here changed to default to MCI rather than Sprint...especially since
MCI had just done some major upgrades that helped things a bunch.
   CRL peers with Sprint at the PB-NAP to avoid congestion that Sprint has
at MAE-west (and probably for other reasons, such as load balancing their
own circuits). Last time I looked, MCI peered with Sprint on the west coast
through a dedicated circuit.

-DG

David Greenman