Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2019 00:30:08 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   getting rid of sys/nfs/nfs_lock.c

Hi,=0A=
=0A=
sys/nfs/nfs_lock.c uses Giant. Since it has not been used by default since=
=0A=
March 2008, I suspect it can be removed from head without any impact.=0A=
Post March 2008, the only way this code could be executed is by both=0A=
building a kernel without "options NFSLOCKD" and deleting nfslockd.ko=0A=
from the kernel boot directory and then running rpc.lockd on the system.=0A=
=0A=
I doubt anyone has been doing both of the above, but if you think it is=0A=
still useful, please speak up. (I have an untested patch that replaces Gian=
t=0A=
with a regular mutex. I realized this code is not used when I trying to tes=
t it.;-)=0A=
=0A=
Also, if it seems appropriate, I could commit a patch that makes it print o=
ut=0A=
"deprecated and going away before FreeBSD 13" message, but I doubt anyone=
=0A=
will ever see it.=0A=
Should I do such a message and wait a few months for the deletion?=0A=
=0A=
Thanks for your comments, rick=0A=
ps: The current patch that prepares the kernel for deletion of sys/nfs/nfs_=
lock.c=0A=
     is in reviews.freebsd.org/D22933.=0A=
=0A=