Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 1996 13:06:27 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sup is broken?

>I have been trying for many hours to sup -stable and am becoming
>convinced it is not possible.

>the sup server became busy. From recent experience this will continue
>to back-off in retry time, effectively hanging it for the next several
>hours.

>Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I would recommend that EVERYONE interested in -stable use ctm rather than sup.

sup REQUIRES that the server be available to you when you request it.

ctm can be used as either a "pull" or, preferably, a "push" technology.

You can obtain the changes via ftp from our ftp servers or, if you attempt
to update frequently (I'd say weekly or more often), you can have the
updates automatically mailed to you on a daily basis.

Since the daily changes are a file that is often less than 1k bytes, you
can see that the traffic is much less.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net