Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:14:38 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Yarema <yds@ingress.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X desktop contest? + Desktop Env

In <03ca01be0c2c$9a6112e0$1f40e6cd@ichiban.ingress.com>, Yarema wrote:
> > The default shells are because of an attempt to keep ``standard''.
> >Although, I believe we should also include tcsh or bash... but I think
> >they are under GPL license.  Well, I think bash is.
>
> But zsh is under a BSD style license and IMHO it's better than but similar
> enough to bash. So how about tcsh and zsh?

I don't think that makes sense. bash2 is now the "standard" shell for
userfriendly Unix accounts (and works well, BTW). If we ship a
slightly different default shell, we'll be flooded with PRs from
people used to bash. And zsh has quite some subtle differences (IMHO,
it is much worse than bash2).

And I don't think the license matters that much in this case,
either. A more comfortable shell is for those people who want it and
as long as the system still runs when you remove it, a GPL software is
fine.

P.S.

What we need here is
  ports/<somethink>/easy2use
which depends on X11, bash2, fvwm2/95, some file browser, a stupid X
editor, less, a Web browser with default to
/usr/share/doc/handbook/index.html, Mail and News reader. Just use the
most commonly used tools (see logfile from wcarchive for
pub/FreeBSD/packages).

And which installs a set of useful default dotfiles, either to /etc or
so that adduser will use it as default when creating a new account.

That way, we can even take the incredible bloat and gone-wild
configuration Linux distributions like S.U.S.E. put on the user to our
advantage. Just the most common tools with a lightweight non-agressive
configuration.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer