Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 1997 07:34:04 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Machines going bump in the night.

> On Tue, Sep 02, 1997 at 12:50:06AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > I'm sitting here at 00:45, when suddenly one of my machines (actually
> > on loan from a friend) exploded - while running FreeBSD-2.1.7.
> >
> > I got no core dump, and despite "options DDB" in my kernel config, it
> > did not drop into the debugger.  Now the machine doesn't seem to boot
> > any more.  Has any one else experienced this ?
> >
> > Should I report this with "send-pr" ?
> >
> > There were at least 15 small explosions along with a series of
> > impressive flashes - kinda like disappointing fireworks, and there's
> > a nasty smell of sulphur in the room now.  Should I post my kernel
> > config file ?
> >

> Yes, please do. It seems you have accidentally enabled the HCF option in
> your kernel config. Don't do that.

Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net> was closest to identifying the
*real* problem.  I had a some typos in my configuration file:

options IPFIREALL
#options SAFETY
options NO_SCSI_SENSE

I couldn't find any docs on the "HCF" option :-(

[.....]

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;