Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 03:05:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Belfer-Shevett <shevett@stonekeep.com>
To:        jflowers@ezo.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems configuring Vadem VG-469 PCMCIA controller.

jflowers@ezo.net wrote:
> I just went through this with a Lucent Wavelan that uses a Vadem
> controller.  What I found was that the Lucent ISA card was strapped for
> 0x3e2.  Changing the kernel config to 0x3e2 allowed the ISA card to be
> initialized but the PCCard did not initialize (no slots).  All started
> working when I set legacy ISA for irq10 and 11 in the BIOS, set the
> kernel config to 0x3e2 and irq11 and hard-coded irq10 in the pccard.conf
> file.

The Vadem controller I have is not the one that's physically attached to
the Wavelan cards as they come from Lucent.  This Vadem controller is from
Actiontec - a
PC700. (http://www.actiontec.com/support/readers/pc700.html#tech).  Remember
that 'pnpinfo' comes up with:

Logical Device ID: AEI0218 0x1802a904 #0
        Vendor register funcs 00
    I/O Range 0x3e0 .. 0x3fe, alignment 0x2, len 0x2
        [16-bit addr]

So the board is definately at 0x3e0...

What's puzzling me is that the kernel -definately- knows there's a device
there:

unknown0: <ACTIONTEC PNP PCMCIA ADAPTER> at port 0x3e0-0x3e1 on isa0

Is it that that signature 'ACTIONTEC...' isn't matching a configuration
the kernel identifies as a Vadem cnotroller?  How can I say
"No! Really! That's a Vadem 469!  I swear!"

Desperate... :)

	dave.

-------------------.   Web-based problem management: www.stonekeep.com
shevett@pobox.com  / [He] crafts his debate with the professionally honed \