Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Somers <brian@utell.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/3885: /usr/bin/ppp -ddial sleeps forever instead of redial

The following reply was made to PR bin/3885; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brian Somers <brian@utell.co.uk>
To: stesin@gu.net
Cc: Brian Somers <brian@utell.co.uk>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:28:01 +0100

 > Dear Brian,
 >
 > I found what was the cause of my trouble.
 >
 > While configuring that site, I somewhat messed up and forgot
 > that LQR isn't working when enabled at FreeBSD ppp side.
 > I also hand-created another problem (it is mentioned
 > in the manpage), redial timeouts in ppp were interfering
 > with 'pulse-time XXX' cisco's interface command on other side.
 >
 > So strange enough, first connection went nice but redial wasn't
 > able to succeed.  After all that headscratching,
 > two days ago I discovered that
 > there weren't 'disable lqr' and 'deny lqr' clauses in my config.
 > Adding them solved the problem.  What was happening --
 > ppp tried to establish a connection but went asleep despite
 > of getting packets back, because
 > it thought that LQRs should be coming already (?)
 >
 > 48 hours of continuous PPPing with reconnects (inspired
 > by wiretapping ;) went nice. So sorry for bothering you,
 > send-pr bin/3885 should be considered closed, and my _real_ claim
 > (as I understand now) was the fact that LQR was behaving odd.

 If you could send me some LQR logs showing the "oddness", I'd be
 *very* interested.  I'm currently under the impression that there
 are no LQR problems :| - that's as of June 20.

 > I'll upgrade my personal workstation at work to 2.2-9706XX-RELENG
 > and redo the testing with cisco.  If you want me to test
 > some specific setup via a nullmodem between 2.2-RELENG and
 > cisco 2511, IOS version 11.2(6+) -- I'll do this.
 >
 > Is the copy of PPP in http://www.freebsd.org/~brian the same
 > as in 2.2-RELENG? or does it have some additional fixes?

 Nope.  The www.freebsd.org/~brian version is hacked so that
 it has its own libalias & libutil stuff - it should build
 on pretty much any version of FreeBSD.  It's the same as
 RELENG_2_2 except for the Makefile & hacked libs.

 > Thanks a lot for your helpful attention!

 No problem.

 > Best regards,
 > Andrew Stesin
 >
 > nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE

 I'll close the pr, so the gnats cc isn't necessary in any