Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:54:16 -0500
From:      Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing Question

My point exactly Nils,

    You and I both know windoze is not customizable at all other than
changing a few doo-dads or eye candy.  My whole point is, if we are
keeping up with "technology" per-se, and the defacto standard is now
PCL, why do we support the postscript language other than the same
reason we support things that too have been replaced with more versatile
apps -- like perl, to take the place of, or become more useful than say,
shell programming?  Both have their place, but face it, perl scripts are
more powerful than shell programming, and can do everything that sh can
do.  Again, my whole point in the discussion was if we are moving
forward to better things, why is it that PCL has not made it into the
generic (or at least add-on) packages for unix.  And again, where are
you going to find a native PS printer the average person will or can
afford?  I can't, and won't.  I can take that $1200 for a true PS
printer and find many more things or toys to spend it on, and get
probably just as good a result from a $100 ink-jet printer.  In this
case, it's more than a matter of choice too.. I'd be willing to bet
there are lots of folks who, if have the need to print, will do it on a
windoze box rather than go thru the efforts (albeit very little) to set
up apsfilter or any of the other postscript interpreters and print
drivers.  IMHO, there should be some direction to having pcl or whatever
else the newer printers speak in included in at least as a port.  Leave
the native PS printing in, by all means.  I'm sure someone who runs a
server and has the pockets deep enough to afford a networked printer
wouldn't change a thing unless he/she could save a few bux when
something breaks.

    This is not, by any way of interpretation, trying to start a windoze
vs. unix discussion.  Merely a discussion about current technology and
ideas.  If I were a programmer, I'd be most happy to attempt to write a
pcl enhancement for Unix, but I'm merely an old "appliance operator" so
to speak.

Sam