Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Mike Pontillo <mike_p@revenge.pylos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NICs

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Mike Pontillo wrote:

>         If it is NE2000 compatible, it should work with Linux or FreeBSD
> no problem. In Linux, you want to use the "ne" kernel module if it is an
> ISA card, or the "ne2k-pci" module if it is a PCI card. Slackware comes
> with these modules and all you should have to do is run "modprobe
> <module>".
>         They should work in FreeBSD also -- although I couldn't give you
> very specific details, as I don't know a whole lot about FreeBSD; that's
> why I'm on this mailing list. =) But NE2000 cards are very standardized.
> If you have trouble finding one that works, go to CompUSA and pick up a
> $15-20 D-Link PCI NIC. These are NE2000 compatible and I've found that
> they work rather well. Most any NE2000 compatible card should work though.

After a business trip out of town, I managed to get the owner for a small
company to realize that buying the cheapest possible NICs wasn't the way
to run a consulting business.  He had picked up 5 of the D-Link 10/100 PCI
nics. One wouldn't work at all (nothing we did would even show that the
card existed), one had a packet loss rate of about 30%, and none of them
wanted to work on the customers 10BaseT network.  Between this and the
fact that the D-Link cards change regularly (often in ways that older
FreeBSD drivers don't like), he finally agreed to change that policy.

We'll probably be going Intel EtherExpress Pro's in the future, though I
understand we should avoid the NEC SCSI cards with these.