Date:      18 Sep 2001 09:42:07 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
Cc:        Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>, <mstark1@cfl.rr.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best X Windows Manager for Newbies

"Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu> writes:

>  Ok, here's a dumb question. How do you run the windows manager without
> Gnome or KDE?

Well, to avoid using a lot of messy NIH scripts, I start X with a custom
"xinit" which mostly consist of:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit ~/.Xinitrc -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper -nolisten $@
    ## I've omitted some code that prevents accidental use by root.

File ~/.Xinit contains (somewhat edited):

    xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources   ## AKA .Xdefaults
    unclutter -idle 1&   ## Great program that hides stationary pointer.
    exec fvwm2           ## ~/.fvwm2rc  starts other applications.

I've been using fvwm2 for years starting on a 16 MB 486/66.  Tried
Gnome, KDE (for several months), several WMs, and returned to fvwm2.