Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/20877: ICMP error msg on UDP port unreachable is incorrect

The following reply was made to PR kern/20877; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
To: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: Frank Volf <volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl>, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
	Garrett Wollman <wollman@FreeBSD.org>,
	Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:17:04 +0200 (CEST)

 Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
 > On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 07:45:22PM +0200, Frank Volf wrote:
 > >
 > > I disagree with the fact that you simply close this pr as being a duplicate
 > > case of PR 16240.
 > >
 > > PR 16240 tries to address the generic problem, which is indeed present in
 > > many network implementations and may or maynot be difficult to fix.
 > >
 > > Here, a very simple patch is presented for a special instance of 16240
 > > (an instance that occurs a lot, e.g. using udp based tracerouted). I see no
 > > reason why this patch cannot be applied to FreeBSD.
 > >
 > The reason is simple -- your patch is wrong and incomplete.

 I agree that I overlooked the ip_off part. At the place where I inserted my
 patch the packet is reassambled so ip_off must be zero. But I forgot about
 the MF and DF flags that could be set, and therefore my patch does not work
 for that case. Sorry for that.

 I'll try your patch and see how it works.

 Thanks,

              Frank