Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 14:22:05 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current projects...

At 06:47 AM 6/22/98 +1000, you wrote:

>If you deliberately disregard the warnings given in the handbook and
>elsewhere, that's your business and who am I to warn you that it might be
>dangerous.

Gee, will it blow up my computer?  Just how do you define "dangerous?" The
whole  point here is to LEARN NEW THINGS, and the way you do that is by
TRYING THINGS and disregarding warnings intended for people who need stable
systems to run their ISP businesses on.  Newbies will not be needing
stable, rock-solid systems.  Newbies need to TRY NEW THINGS, screw up,
install, re-install, experiment, make mistakes, try again.  If a newbie to
BSD writes a term paper for school using StarOffice (or Vi.. hehehehe),
doesn't back it up, and does something that can't be recovered
from/requires an OS re-install, that person is not a newbie but an idiot.

>2. You will be misleading others if you encourage them to do this.

I already stated that I don't encourage others to try what I try.  I've
learned my lesson about that kind of thing several times, believe me.
However, if you consider me simply reporting my own experiences (whether
successes or failures) "encouragement," so be it.  There's nothing I can do
about it.

>By the way. Please do not quote anyone's private mail in a public forum
>without their consent. Many people get pretty stroppy over things like
>that. In countries where litigation is popular there have been quite
>heated debates over this kind of thing, so if you happen to believe this
>newbie's warning in this case, be very careful.

*Sigh*... so sue me.  I live in the U.S., am on disability and receive U.S.
$458/month.  You'd have to fly out here for the court hearings, and
convince both the U.S. and the Australian governments that I've violated
some kind of law by posting a message intended to be private to a public
mailing list.

BTW, what I sent to the mailing list was MY REPLY to your Email, with
portions of your original quoted (could be stated under the "fair use"
doctrines).  I certainly didn't directly forward your Email to the list.
Also, although if requested I will not disclose private Email (you didn't
mention anything about whether or not you cared until afterward), I
consider anything coming into my mailbox to become my private property.
Consider yourself warned.

>Never again.

<shrug>... I'm going on 24+ hrs with no sleep again.  I tend to be a little
aggressive at that point.  If you can't deal with my style, fine, no more
correspondence necessary.  There are only 500 or so other people I can
discuss BSD with on the newbies mailing list alone, and thousands of others
elsewhere.

>BTW, I don't ruffle well before 7am. Stick that up your FAQ.

It's 2:08 PM here.  Am I supposed to take the time difference between our
locations in mind every time I send you an Email?  If so, we DEFINITELY
have to stop, as there's no way I'll remember about that.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.