Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:11:45 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Meeting notes from the graphics group for 2019-01-02 and 2019-01-16

Here's the meeting notes from the last two meetings the graphics group has
had. Sorry this has taken me a while to get out.

Warner
2019-01-16: Agenda

   -

   Bumping LLVM version in mesa
   -

      Supposed to happens start of January, but has been delayed.
      -

      Plan is to push the custom version for this quarterly branch and then
      migrate to the normal infrastructure quarter. This plan allows us to =
roll
      back if there=E2=80=99s something crazy currently-unknown problem.
      -

   Input stack
   -

      Giant patch merged before new years.
      -

      Latest version of libinput is 1.12.5, we have 1.12.4 in development
      repo. Niclas will update to 1.12.5, though it=E2=80=99s not as urgent=
 as prior
      updates.
      -

      Libudev-devd patches plus patches for epoll-shim library. We=E2=80=99=
ll need
      to update these to the latest snapshots. Niclas cutting releases
instead of
      having a dated snapshot.
      -

      Niclas started working on meson build infrastructure to get to know
      it, starting with the above items.
      -

      Some discussions on mailing list with sway and wayland wrt input
      stack. It seems to be working great. Easier to configure in sway
than in X.
      -

      Pete to make a quick blog post on setup to try to get people using
      his setup for sway and our input stack.
      -

      Add sysctls with device info for /dev/input/* stuff:
      https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18694
      -

   Sway
   -

      Seems to be mostly working now.
      -

      There=E2=80=99s some rough edges with the beta, but it=E2=80=99s in a=
 good, usable
      state.
      -

      Unsure if the crashes are due to FreeBSD specific issues, or if it=E2=
=80=99s
      generic.
      -

      Worst problems around X11 - Wayland apps.
      -

      Pete will test jan=E2=80=99s weston branch and gnome3 backends that u=
se
      wayland rendering.
      -

      Weston branch: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/myfreeweb/weston.git
      -

   Deorbit legacy drm from base
   -

      Warner to produce  a phab review by Jan 21st
      -

   Quarterly report
   -

      Due at the end of January
      -

      Should update the outline before we turn the outline into human
      readable form
      -

   Drm kmod progress update
   -

      Johannes Lundberg working on 4.20 last we heard. Changes required in
      base to get it running. Matt Macy still had the changes for 4.18
in flight,
      and then he=E2=80=99ll do more changes for 4.20.
      -

      Depending on timing and size of 4.20 changes, we may do a 4.18 exp
      first as a stepping stone to get to 4.20. 4.16 has some stability iss=
ues
      that 4.18 addresses. https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18041
      -

      Plan is to get 4.20 running as the experimental branch soon. It=E2=80=
=99s the
      first version with good big endian PowerPC support.
      -

   Mesa 18.3
   -

      Niclas will update the repo so that packages are easier to build
      -

      Good to get done soon
      -

   arm/arm64
   -

      Good progress on drm by manu@ on arm64. Can run xorg server
      -

      manu@ hopes to have something working on pinebook before fosdem
      -

      Once driver is stable, they can cleanup code for release and
      integrate into the tree.
      -

   Documentation
   -

      Ping form Ed Maste. Coop students had trouble installing the new drm
      stuff following the instructions in the handbook.
      -

      There was a phab review that started to update things
      -

      Will loop in bsddocs people as well as Ed=E2=80=99s coop students

Attended:

Niclas Zeising (zeising@)

Johannes Dietrich

Warner Losh (imp@)

Pete Wright

Manu Vadot (manu@)
2019-01-02: Agenda

   -

   Bumping LLVM version in mesa
   -

      Will do local version and try to merge to quarterly branch. Next
      quarter we=E2=80=99ll use infrastructure version unless there=E2=80=
=99s issues.
      -

   Input stack
   -

      Deferred until next meeting
      -

   Deorbit legacy drm in base
   -

      Warner to send mail Jan 3rd to x11 proposing a Feb 1 removal of the
      =E2=80=9Ceasy=E2=80=9D stuff
      -

      Feb 1: remove dev/drm and the parts of dev/drm2 not used by arm.
      Remove module makefiles entirely.
      -

   Sway
   -

      Deferred until next meeting
      -

   Quarterly report
   -

      Will work on over the next few days
      -

   Mesa 18.3
   -

      Would like to see AMD system testing, will be a few days before we
      can do it
      -

      Otherwise deferred until next meeting.

Attended: