Date:      5 Jan 1999 15:23:48 -0000
From:      "Gary Howland" <gary@hotlava.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kaffe and GNU licence

Hi,

I noticed today that Tim Wilkinson has switched to a GNU licence
for kaffe!  (yes, I may be a bit late in noticing this).  This is
very bad news for those of us who like (need?) BSD style licences.
And it is all the more true since I know of no other similar
project.

Big deal, some of you might say.  Perl's going the same way too.
Just shove it in /usr/src/contrib and deal with it that way.

But I think we're going to see a closer integration of bytecode
interpreters and the OS in the future.  For example, I was considering
removing all of the thread and garbage collection stuff out of
kaffe, hacking the Runtime class, and using this cutdown interpreter
as a bootloader (although I noticed ficl is now doing that job - but
I would still argue the java bytecodes might be a better option, even
if just because they are more popular).  But the new kaffe licence
prevents me from doing that (with the latest version at least).

So, would it not be a good idea for FreeBSD to adopt the most
recent release under the old licence (0.9.3?), and maintain an
alternative version under the BSD licence?  If needs be, I'd even
offer to be in charge of patches and releases and stuff
(although I'd sooner not, since my time is limited).

Gary