Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 23:28:36 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        "Dale E. Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best NIC / Best CDR-CDRW

At 14:41 18.04.00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello I'm opening my self for suggestions on recommendations for the following
>for use on my bsd machine:
>
>1) a cdr/cdrw
Hi!

Well, if its for workstation use, Plextor, Teac and Toshiba are doing
quality SCSI drives.

Also Pioneer and ASUS have good reputation.

For CD-R, at the moment Yamaha and Plextor seem to be first choice.

>2) a NIC
>
>Can you also indicate the lowest release that supports your recommendation if
>possible.
>
>The following is a brief exchange between me and a counter part, what is your
>suggestion?
>
>He said:
>========
>forget the expenive rubbish 3Com makes- they don't work well under windows and
>barely works under linux...
>
>your best bet is the the generic NE2000 cards, you kno the cheap  ones for
>$125.00 (TT) you get the full 10MB per second out of them-  also you can get a
>cheap 8 port hub for about $400.00 (TT)
>
>I countered:
>============
>1) Get Intel / 3Com if money's no objective "They're just as bad as cisco
>routers"
>2) Get either Realtek or DEC Tulip
>3) Avoid the VIA Rhine chipset as they crumble under heavy loads
>4) what about the NE2000 based cards? They're cheap, and they work. Good
enough
>for me :-) NE2K's are turd plain and simple dinosaurs from the ISA stone age
>they work, that's all

What does TT mean?
One can get 100BaseTX cards (realtek chip) for about 40 DM here in Germany
(~20 U$)
But, with Realtek chips, especially PCI, lots of people are reporting problems.
Yes, Ne2000 will work, especially if they operate under light load, no problem.

cards from Netgear (Bay Networks) and D-Link have good reputation for being
stable, and being not that expensive. Also Allied Telesyn did some good
cards (Have used some old ones with AMD chip on them-smooth operation).

Realtek is only favorite when it comes to budget, due to being build into
el cheapo products, you get a higher RMA rate.

DEC chipsets are fine, also found on some midpriced cards.

But-what are those cards for?
If you only want some little-stressed networking between your box and that
of your buddy/children/roommate, then 10MBit shall be enough and cheap,
also if sharing cable modem.
For comparison prices in germany:

El cheapo Realtek NIC: ISA/PCI 25 DM ~12,50 U$
El cheapo (mostly Realtek) 100MBit: 40 DM ~20 U$
Hub 10 MBIt 5-Port: 50 DM ~25 U$
Hub 100 Mbit 5-Port 180 DM  90 U$

D-Link NIC 10 Mbit 50DM..
3com 509 bulk 120 DM

Sometimes you get really noname, sometimes names like Lantech appear...

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)