Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:00:51 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org, Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 10:37:43PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 03:48:04PM -0600, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > I'd personally like to see eclipse and all of its plugins removed from
> > the java category and placed into devel.  For example, I find it ridiculous
> > that the phpeclipse port is in the Java category.
>
> Speaking as both a portmgr and a bugmeister, I think the java category
> has been a failure.  What happens is that people see a 'java' ports
> category and then assume that reports about bugs in any Java port should
> go to the Java GNATS category (rather than 'ports').  In particular,
> these PRs then get missed by portsmon.  As well, as you mention, the java
> category departs from the existing usage in 'devel' and other places.
>
> I think TRT is to move everything out of Java that's not actually a JDK
> or JRE.  And maybe even the things that are :-)
>
> What do other people think?

I essentially agree.  Its somewhat persuasive to say that the top level
java category can go altogether.  No other languages get this special
treatment, and its difficult to really make the argument for Java other
than inertia and the fact that the devel category is already huge.  At
the very least, there are many ports in the category that can obviously
be moved -- basically everything that is only in the category because
its written in Java.  Other ports which are related to the JVM or directly
to the Java language I could see staying if the category remains (e.g.
openjit, jmp, jikes, sablevm, jdk15-doc, etc.).  Obviously the JDK/JRE
ports stay if the category stays.

Maybe moving all the low hanging fruit (the ones which are only there
because they are written in Java) would be a good first step?

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org