Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:09:43 -0700
From:      Eddie Fry <eddie@eaznet.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

Charles Henrich wrote:

> In lists.freebsd.isp you write:
>
> >Eddie Fry wrote in message ID
> ><3357FEE5.4DBB@eaznet.com>:
> >> I am in TOTAL agreement.  I don't think anyone's going to lose customers
> >> because they don't keep this junk on a local drive.  If anything, change
> >> your focus from "WE GIVE YOU EVERYTHING A SMUT-LOVER WOULD WANT" to "WE
> >> GIVE YOU FASTER ACCESS AND DOWNLOAD SPEEDS" because we don't jam our
> >> lines with smut.
>
> >Sorry, you lose. I know from experience :-( Customers have left
> >webspan (the ISP I currently work for) because I had troubles with
> >hard drive reliability in the early days and they went elsewhere to
> >get their porn. And they were porn suckers, believe me. ALL the people
> >who phoned to complain about the server being down, when cornered by
> >tech. support, admitted that they were after a.b.p.e, even one who
> >started out saying ``When is the news server gonna be back, my
> >business depends on it!''. He never posted a thing, he just read.
>
> Hell, a very large percentage of ISP customers are using it for pornography.
> Sex sells, always has, always will.  The news statistics SHOW it, what, in the
> top 100 read newsgroups 90% are alt.binaries.* related.  If you dont carry
> those groups, you lose/dont get customers, period.
>
> -Crh
> --
>
>        Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu
>
>                          http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich

Well, there I have to disagree with you.  It's been our experience that
newsgroups aren't that important to the non-smut-lovers.  We started a
POP January 1, and have had (to my knowledge) only TWO people turn away
from us because we didn't have a news feed in that POP.

OK, 90% of people using news are using the alt.binaries, BUT, how many
people are actually using news?  I don't think even 5% of our customer
base is using the news libraries and then probably only 5% of the time.

Eddie