Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:57:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 ISO Not consitant. I must press the issue.

On 26-Feb-2002 Paul C. Boyle wrote:

[ Re: problems after a fresh install]

> My problem starts with no KDE internet utilities for dialup on the disks.
> I want to install and get up and running quickly not have to find and
> learn an new dialup tool. Man was I pissed.

OK, so some users could use a little hand-holding in configuring dialup
connections, I'll grant you.  But to install something as huge as KDE just
for this purpose simply isn't practical.

I do think that perhaps sysinstall should include a dialup PPP
configuration section, similar to that for configuring a NIC.  The problem
is that PPP configurations vary so wildly from one ISP to the next, that to
support such a thing in sysinstall would no doubt increase its size
considerably, thereby forcing other things to be squeezed off of the
primary install disc.

As for your comments re: consistency, I feel that FreeBSD, in the nearly
six years I've been using it, has been quite consistent in all respects
from one release to the next.  Whenever any major changes have been
introduced (i.e., those requiring a "heads up" to users), they've always
been very carefully and thoughtfully integrated into the system, and any
actions required on the part of the user have been well-documented, as well
as discussed in the mailing lists.

From my observations from reading the mailing lists and newsgroups for the
last several years, I think it's fair to say that the majority of newbie
questions/problems could be quite easily resolved if people would take the
time to RTFM before installing.  There's a tendency amongst newcomers to
simply plunge headlong into these deep and fairly treacherous (to the
uninformed) waters with little or no preparation.  Even a hand-holding
install/config tool can only do so much if the user has no clue at all as
to what's going on.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>

Do not try to solve all life's problems at once -- learn to dread each
day as it comes.
                -- Donald Kaul