Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 08:40:12 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Doc tagging

If memory serves me right, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> > According to the 4.6 release engineering schedule...
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.6R/schedule.html
> >
> > ..the doc tree is scheduled to be tagged around 27 May 2002.  This is
> > possibly subject to change, since Nik is (I think) still traveling.
> > At the last BSDCon, some of us talked about a voluntary doc slush to
> > make life easier for the translation teams, which would last around a
> > week or so.  Nothing has been officially sanctioned, but we're almost
> > at that week (yes, it sort of crept up on us).
> >

> You are correct, the time has come for a doc freeze, as ports is just
> about to get one...  Lets do this realisticly, and from the 27th of
> May on all commits should be passed through a senior -doc hacker,
> and this be respected and treated in a way similar to the src/ports
> freeze.

Tom, please go back and re-read my original message, carefully. Somehow,
either you misunderstood the two main points of my message, or I failed
to communicate them clearly.

First, the doc tree will be *tagged* on 27 May.  This means that any
changes after that date will *not* make it into 4.6-RELEASE unless
someone (usually this means Nik) slides the tag on some file(s) forward.

Second, I am not in any way suggesting that we need a doc freeze (in the
src/ sense of the word), which is why I avoided using the word "freeze"
in my original message.  Realistically, the middle of the release cycle,
less than two weeks before the release, is not the right time to
abruptly impose additional requirements for commit approvals.  I wanted
to people to keep in mind the implications of their work on the
translation teams, and to try to avoid unnecessary, last-minute churn in
the doc/ tree.

Got it now?  :-)

Bruce.