Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:40:49 +0100
From:      "LI Dong" <lid@ufrima.imag.fr>
To:        "Murray Stokely" <murray@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcement of FreeBSD Chinese Simplified Documentation Translation Project

Hi,

Currently there are 3 mainstream Simplified Chinese encodings, GB2312-1980,
GB13000(a.k.a. GBK) and GB18030. As the latest national standard, all OSs
shipping in China would be forced to support GB18030.

As I know, glibc has supported GB18030 already, but standard XFree86 has no
GB18030 yet, only GB2312 and GBK. Some Linux distribution have patched
XFree86 and support GB18030, but no more details were found.

Should we set doc path to zh_CN.GB18030 or just zh_CN.GB? I am looking for
information for GB18030 supports in FreeBSD, as soon as I get a solution, I
will send related staffs to freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org.

zh_CN.UTF-8 also possible, but I don't know whether docproj ports support
Unicode encoding or not, and I am afraid that if we use Unicode may cause
some incompatible problems with other documentation projects.

Another simple way is just use zh_CN.GB2312, the standard encoding in xml
and almost all web sites still use 'charset=gb2312' as HTML encoding. In
FreeBSD, zh_CN.eucCN is the same thing of zh_CN.GB2312.

Any comments?

Greetings,
LI Dong