Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 09:31:06 -0800
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Introductory Book on FreeBSD

Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> > You can look at the pdf to see what was used to produce it,
> > worse than MS Word though is Adobe. ;-)

> No, he's not mistaken--Word 97, Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat Distiller.
>
> But I don't like to debate this sort of issue,

I don't blame you for that!

> so in my own defense
> I offer only this, from the Colophon to _Unix System Administration
> Handbook_, Third Edition, Evi Nemeth et.al (a wonderful book, even
> for newbies):

This book has been a terrific help to me too.  Reading it was refreshing
because of how the only basis for advice was practicality and utility.
There is a distinct lack of bias toward one vendor or another, compared
to other books.  Some that post to the mailing lists will find the lack
of religious fervor for different UNIX only or free software only tools
offensive, but the rest of us like hearing only what works and what
doesn't in each respective option.  The quote below is a perfect example
of that.

PDF format can now be _read_ by almost anyone on almost any operating
system, with _free_ (as in cost) tools.  Not to mention it's easy to
print from, if you like that (I do).  I use it work for sharing printed
materials all the time.  Even though everyone I work with uses MS
Windows and MS Office at work, the versions of Office are not universal
and PDF format overcomes this for Windows users too.

> "We produced the first edition of this book with the UNIX troff
> package.  For the second edition, we used a MacIntosh.  We
> produced this third editon entirely on Microsoft Windows 95,
> 98, and 2000....We used Adobe FrameMaker for layout, with Adobe
> Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop for graphics and illustrations.  We
> also used Adobe Acrobat throughout the production process.  It
> allowed us to distribute chapters and graphic files to many different
> people without worrying about fonts or application compatibility.
> We delivered the final manuscript as an Acrobat file, too."
>
>                 Annelise

I look forward to being able to buy your book!  Thanks for all the work
on helping newbies in FreeBSD!

Brian Raynes