Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Shill <shill@free.fr>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/30749: Typo in the handbook's section 14.3

The following reply was made to PR docs/30749; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Shill <shill@free.fr>
To: Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:17:56 -0700

 Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

 > > Shill said on Sep 22, 2001 at 16:08:33:
 > > >
 > > > In the handbook's section 14.3:
 > > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x13973.html
 > > >
 > > > "After adding the driver(s) you need to your kernel configuration file"
 > > > -> delete "you need" (?)
 >
 > > What's wrong with it as it stands?  (I'm not sure whether, strictly
 > > speaking, a "which" is required before "you need" but it's common
 > > usage as it is.)
 >
 > AFAIK, you are correct.
 >
 > "the driver(s) you need" contains an identifying (also: defining, restrictive)
 > relative clause; that is, you speak of **certain** drivers (the driver(s) you
 > need).  **Object** relative pronouns are often omitted in an informal style.
 >
 > <possible reason for Shill's difficulty>
 > The whole sentence, "[adding [the driver you need] [to you kernel
 > configuration file]]", **might** sound ambiguous, ie might also be interpreted
 >  as "[adding the driver [you need to your kernel configuration file]]";
 > however, considering the syntactic features of the constituents, viz the
 > constructions the verb "(to) need" can be used in, I can see no syntactic or
 > semantic ambiguity.  I would say the sentence sounds good. :-)
 >
 > Just my 0.02 Euro
 >
 > -- Salvo

 Oooooooh, now I understand. You see, what confused me was
 the "you need/you will need" occurence. I immediately
 thought: "copy/paste mistake" and convinced myself the
 sentence was ungrammatical.

 "After adding the driver(s) you need to your kernel
 configuration file, you will need to recompile your kernel."

 Sorry for the false negative :)