Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:13:41 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
Cc:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

Konstantinos Konstantinidis wrote:
> Technical Information wrote:
> > But even if the CIA was involved in training and arming these people, it
> > was NOT done in the name of terrorism.  It was made in the interest of
> > stopping the spread of Communism, which has been part of our national
> > directive for decades now.
>
> Let me ask you a question - is fighting the spread of Communism any more
> just a cause than fighting the spread of Capitalism? It's not a question
> of ideology mind you, and please don't take it as such. Just think about
> it. What would happen for example if things went differently, and today
> the USSR was still intact, the USA was split instead, and some of the
> USSR supported "organizations" decided there was not much left as far
> as Capitalism is concerned, and decided to fight back Communism instead.
> This is quite a simplistic thoeretical outcome, but let me restate your
> sentence now to suit this hypothetical situation:

This situation could never arise.  Beginning in the 1960's, the
Soviet Union was dedicated to the destruction of the U.S..  This
included deploying nuclear missles into Cuba to give them a first
strike capability, upsetting the balance of power.

The reason I say that this could never arise, is that they would
not have stopped at splitting up the U.S. into nation-states.

I refer you to what was nominally supposed to be a peace conference,
in which Nikita Kruschev pounded the heel of his shoe on the table
to drown out any discussion and yealled "We will bury you!".

> The fact is that the CIA has created a monster (numerous ones mind you,
> but we'll just talk about the ones at hand right now) and God knows what
> promises it made to them appart from offering weapons and training.

Let's say you are right; isn't it our responsibility, then, to
slay that monster?

-- Terry