Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 21:04:14 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>, rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAI, PGP, and FreeBSD (was Re: HEADS UP: New host key for freefall!)

At 08:51 PM 5/21/2000, Bob Johnson wrote:

> >For all interested: I contacted the appropriate NAI/PGP developers to find
> >out about a native FreeBSD build a few weeks ago.  The response was that
> >they have seen zero (0) demand for a FreeBSD build, and therefore don't
>
>B.S. - I asked their sales droids about it within the past two months.

This is typical. Sales droids ignore, or conveniently forget, requests
for ports to platforms which are not already supported. They then claim
that there's "no demand." Their motivation for this behavior is that
their performance is measured by how much of EXISTING products they
sell, not the accuracy of customer feedback they bring back from
customers. They see additional platforms as making their lives more
difficult.

This is why so many sales droids wish that everything but Windows would
go away.

>I think this is a significant issue.  I decided a year ago that it was
>useless to contact NAI about anything, so I don't bother.  I spent
>five months trying to renew + upgrade a 200 user license and never
>got anywhere.  I'd rather give my money to someone who cares.

NAI is -- alas -- a large, shortsighted, profit-oriented "blob" of
a company. Other companies vanish into its gaping maw and are
absorbed, losing all vestiges of their former identity. Then, the
original developers of the products leave, and the products cease
to be improved in significant ways.

This is what happened with Helix Software, which used to make some
very fine products. Eaten by NAI. (Belch!)

>In any case, my experience with NAI suggests that we would be
>better off putting our energy into convincing just about any
>other AV vendor to support FreeBSD.

I agree. Trend Micro would be a good candidate, since they furnish
software to US West and US West uses FreeBSD internally (as per
Barry Caplin).

--Brett