Date:      27 Jan 2000 12:09:15 -0500
From:      Edward Kovarski <edwardk@digitalized.com>
To:        "Majid Almassari" <majid@ibroadcast.net>
Cc:        "Danny" <dannyh@idx.com.au>, "W Gerald Hicks" <jhix@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certification

Majid Almassari <majid@ibroadcast.net> writes:

> >From: W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
> > I know quite a few rather clueless people holding multiple
> > certifications; they aren't necessarily any assurance that
> > someone knows what they are doing.
>
> True, but on the other side of the house you got a number of seasoned what
> so called Network Engineers with xx years of experience lack that solid
> analytical systematic approach of problem solving as soon something deviates
> from the standard routine come and see their clueless faces! you will see
> lack of systematic approach of problem solving thereof. Analytical approach
> to Problem solving comes from both education and experience, not from one or
> the other only. In the contrary you got paper certificate people who can
> create more harm then good after graduating from what is called Boot Camp
> Certification they think they know it all! Don't get me wrong I'm not saying
> that every Boot Camp Graduate is a paper certified this technique is useful
> for the. experienced, but not otherwise in my opinion. So Certification is a
> double edged knife depending how you use it but usually beneficial if
> combined with experience.

You are assuming however that an educational process is going to instill the
required analytical skills. Many are quite happy being spoon-fed information
which they then regurgitate.

Potential candidates should not be judged solely on their certifications nor
their experiences as either can be greatly exaggerated. Many resumes tend to
be great works of fiction.

The actual interview can reveal a great deal about their personality, drive,
sociability and knowledge.

This is why it is just as important to ensure that you put the right people
in charge of hiring others.

The brightest and smartest might not always fit into the puzzle when they are
expected to work in unison as a team. A lot of friction can be caused by not
looking at the big picture.

Perhaps instead of concentrating on specifics, like FreeBSD, it would be best
to consider a more open approach such as a BSD Unix certification which would
entail all flavours.

/e