Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 2016 10:02:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

> Ports have to support all supported releases, that's the only connection.

They have historically and for good reason.  Cross-platform ports are
FreeBSD's strongest feature, but it would not have taken a tremendous
amount of effort to have supported both pre- and post- ng trees in tandem
for say a year.

> what FOSS distributions support releases for 7+ years for gratis?  One
> pays for that kind of support.  Did your organization offer to pay for
> extended support?

We would have loved to if that option had been available.  The cost would
have been minuscule compared to doing the same with contractors and
in-house devs.  Now that Xinuos is around we at least have that option.

> All your colleagues, developers, administrators, and managers want
> enterprise level support without paying any money at all?   They *all*
> think volunteers provide that level of support just because?

Please don't make so many assumptions.  No BSD shop that I know of needs
enterprise level support.  Had that with Sun (SunSove) but they never had
ports much less a good security track record.  All we need is to be able
to compile ports and  patch the few kernel security issues that come up.
It's not something beyond the abilities of our community (IMO) but rather
more of a policy issue.

Roger