Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 12:29:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        ulf@lamb.net, dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Cisco 2503i price

> > Ok, one more add from me. I calculated a 486 PC, maybe not the cheapest
> > but modern.
>
> It's the cheapest you can buy new..  :-)
>
> However some of your prices are perhaps out of line.  Seeing as how I
> was just doing hardware cost calculations the other day I have some
> fresh good numbers..

> > Case+powersupply $75 (man, these are expensive compared to .de)
>
> What!?  My _nice_ Enlight cases cost $65.  I can get tin cans for $35.

And the power supply in your Enlight cases has an MTBF of approx 5,000
hours, or about 6 months continous use.  The one in the $35.00 tin cans
are about the same.  The failure mode is usually the fan bushing goes
out (no one selling power supplies for <$40.00 uses a ball bearing fan.)

You also appear to be buying at very very close to wholesale pricing...

> > Cogent PCI ethermet $80
>
> Kingston PCI Ethernet $55

I show that to be the wholesale price for the KNE40T (TP only), I
can see $56.00 retail if you buy in 20 packs at a time.

Rod... who's always wondering how these ``end users'' seem to come up
with retail prices below wholesale... :-) :-) :-)