Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:38:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: 2 queries]

Barrett Richardson recently said:

> >Well, I try to keep things simple. Fact is, a router has less to
> >break down than a "Gateway Machine", and the router is designed
> >for that specific task. You don't usually have to worry about
> >people compromising the router because of software issues, and
> >well... it's smaller and more efficient. Just my .02

> There is a flip side to this. I had a power supply failure in a
> cisco early on a Saturday morning. Cisco needed $400 to get one to
> me by Monday morning. If it had been a FreeBSD or Linux box, me, a
> screwdriver and $30 could have got it back up in an hour.

> [replace the router] ... and thus eliminate any single point of
> failure be it an ethernet card, cable, hub, router or whatever.
> To do the same with cisco equipment would require a pair of
> cisco 7xxx series routers with multiple serial and five ethernet
> interfaces each -- roughly $120k worth of hardware,

You're obviosly not buying right :-).  Check the used equipement
vendor.  We got a 7513 - 1.5 years old new in the box declared
surplus by some major company.  One HiSSI port, 16 serial ports
and 8 ethernet ports - all at about $30,000.  That was before we
got about $5K on an insurance settlement where a fork lift pranged
the box and bent the fan and made seating of one dual power supply
a bit problematic.  We rebent the metal and change the power supply
mount screw and all was well.

It all depends on what you need to do whether a hardware router or
a OS based system will be best.  We run mail, web, dns, etc., on
FreeBSD, and we are going to be putting up at least one for
outgoing bandwidth limited applications.   So we'll have a
mixture.  The real decision is what you really need and what
supports it best, is it not?

Bill

--
bv@wjv.com