Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:05:40 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 80386 out of GENERIC

On Saturday, 14 December 2002 at 20:53:05 -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Alex wrote:
>> It means that you can not install FreeBSD on a 386 unless you have a
>> 486+ machine that can compile a new FreeBSD system and have a way to
>> get that version to the 386.
>
> Yes, this is true.  Several of us were annoyed by the change,
> which appeared at the time to have been done solely to handle
> the fact that the newly installed device /dev/random sucked
> too much CPU time to work on a 386.

That's an interesting apparition.  In fact, it was done because the
locking primitives for i386 are so different from those for later
machines that they would significantly slow down all i[>3]86 kernels.
Since that's the vast majority, it doesn't make sense.

I suppose it would be a good idea to include an alternatvie i386
kernel on the CD-ROM.  There may be a space issue, of course.  How
many people participating in this thread have an i386 with at least 12
MB of memory and intended to try 5.0 on it?  How many of those don't
have a machine to bootstrap off?

Greg