Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 14:44:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c

CC stripped a little bit.

On 21 Mai, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:29:55PM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

>> > 	Indeed, for precisely this reason, I recommend that we *avoid*
>> > the usage recommended by Knuth.  It's one thing to adopt a word from
>> > another language and to use it in much the same sense, it's quite
>> > another to adopt a word with the same spelling (and perhaps
>> > pronunciation), but with quite a different meaning -- especially when
>> > you are cognizant of the contrary meaning in the other language(s).
>>
>> Pardon my unawareness, but what is this "entirely different reason" of
>> France, Germany, and the Netherlands that's been mentioned?
>
> In Dutch email is a sort of ceramic-like covering you see on old style
> pans & pots. I think it is also spelled emaille.
>
> Hmm, could this be 'enamel' in English?

My german to english dictionary says so. And it also lists "email"
("Emaille {f}; Email {f}; Schmelzglas {n}	-  enamel"), but I have
to admit that I wasn't aware about this meaning of "Email".

And I think most of the relevant people (techies) don't know about this
meaning either.

If someone is interested: a major computer magazine here in germany
("c't", http://www.heise.de/ct/) uses "E-Mail".

Bye,
Alexander.

--