Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:03:13 +0200
From:      "Jonas Sonntag" <js@jonsonn.de>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AW: AW: Innovation and Promotion - contains off-topic statements

david johnson wrote
> I must respectfully disagree. FreeBSD is much more than just an OS for
> routers. It is a general purpose operating system.

you're absolutley right. i can tell that my p3-450, 128mb running on fbsd
outperformed a tb800, 512mb running win2k adv. server on a lan. i'm using it
for various things, but main purpose is routing.

> Mac OSX is on the desktop. It's easy to use. For the most its OS is
> FreeBSD derived. And it is not "a kind of windows".

fbsd derived, but fbsd isn't visible any more. would be to much for a mac
user.

> the way it is accessed (keeping the old way around for old farts like
> me). There's no reason you have to eliminate cp, rm, ls and cat just
> because the user has access to an easier to use file manager.

apple did. know why?
see what keiko recktenwald wrote:
> Yes, it might be neccessary to confirm, but I think this is much easier
> done, tired Joes in the night, surfing all day long, not knowing what they
> do, that writing  such a silly batch file.

and *THAT IS* the point!
do you think joe, who uses a gui similar to mac os and who tries and
downloads a script that promises to speed up his internet connection would
check if there isn't something like 'rm -R *' included? would he as a gui
user have noticed that there is a file structure behind it? he would have a
really bad day, just because some 10 year old felt funny about the
possibilities included for old farts.

i have used ms os'es for more then ten years now, and i know i shouldn't
look at a picture that ends with jpg.vbs.
ever wondered why email-worms and silly batch scripts only appear in the ms
world? because its os'es for beginners *and* advanced users. and those
advanced users who have had a bad day can have their fun with beginners that
do not know about file extensions.
would you like them to use shell scripts or perl instead of visual basic?

i fear having those people in the unix world. i'm happy to have them in the
ms world when it comes to working, because here are only advanced users who
have better to do.