Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:52:52 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.via-net-works.net.ar>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: growfs

En un mensaje anterior, Terry Lambert escribió:
> > 	I was wondering how usable is the growfs implementation
> > available in -CURRENT.
> >
> > 	Any chance of using it on -STABLE?
>
> It will work as well as it works pretty much everywhere, going
> back a long time.  I believe the first version from "Der Mouse"
> ran on FreeBSD 1.1.5.

Any place it can be downloaded? (I mean: is it just userland and I
grab it from -CURRENT, or there kernel/UFS code patches also?).

> The problem with this is that you will get fragmentation;
> consider the following two cases; the first is a disk of
> size "10"; the second is a disk of size "6" that has been
> "grown" to size "10".  The "*" are allocated blocks, and
> the "." are unallocated blocks; "o" are blocks that would
> have been allocated in the new space, if it had been there
> at the time the were allocated (but it wasn't):

Thanks for the extense explanation!

Actually, this is good enough for what I need: I'm planning to offer
backup space to customers. So I will start with an x Gb HD (vinum'ed,
of course). When I sold the whole of it, or I'm about to do it, then
I will add a new one. The trick is that there are very high chances
that when I've sold x Gb of backup space, the real used space is y,
being y << x, so basically I'm adding disk space when there is a lot
of space available still.

Will that suffice, or am I lying somewhere?

Thanks!

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administración de la red
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.