Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:06:09 +0100
From:      Raf Schietekat <sky92136@skynet.be>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: as they advise the Sponsor.

Miguel Mendez wrote:

>[...]
> WTF, could we stop all this crap everytime a LookOut user sends an
> infected message to any of the freebsd-* lists? I mean, do we really
> care? After all, it only affects Windows users ;-)
>
> If it depended on me, Outlook users would be banned from posting here.
>
> Cheers,

Yeah, good idea, nuke all them Billysoft suckers and save the world!
Meanwhile, how about if I sent an innocent FreeBSD user an attack (this
looked like a Trojan horse, not an Outlook worm/virus (?), after my
forwarding cum "virus" filtering service released it to me)? Would s/he
be protected by what Java would call a sand box? I don't think so. Unix
security may be based more on marginality than on technical prowess, and
little if any progress seems to be being made. What good does it do to
me as an ordinary user that the superuser is safe and smug about his
continued service, if all my personal stuff goes down the drain?

Raf Schietekat <Raf_Schietekat@ieee.org>
Running Netscape 6.2 (because I still can) on MS Windows 2000
Professional on my laptop (because I have to).