Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:26:35 +0000
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        kris@airnet.net, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the  Internet"

At 09:32 10.04.98 -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>[redirecting followups to -chat]
>
>On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Malte Lance wrote:

>> >Should say PC-based, IMHO.

One more thing here:
When surfing www.freebsd.org i always got the impression, FreeBSD is just
a Server-OS for high-perf HTTP- and FTP-service. That's not true (for me).
I use it for several allday-tasks like email, surfing, editing, writing
letters, using Mathematica-3.0 (on 2.1.5 !!!), rendering, and for
SW-development.

>> "the environmental completness for highest-productive SW-development"
>ooOOoo, I like it; it sounds great while saying absolutely nothing.  The
>perfect press relief material.

;)
The point here is: Maybe it sounds interesting for developers-ears
to read on. Saying nothing is ok as long as it sounds interesting ;)

Creek

>> The commercial OSes i know are far from being as stable as FreeBSD, so
why not
>> saying it:
>> "FreeBSD offers with its 2.2.6-RELEASE the most stable and powerful
operating-
>> system, with uncounted features build over that rock-solid base."
>I'm giving commercial releases the benefit of the doubt.  Anything more
>sounds too arrogant, IMNHO.

Na ... there is no doubt. And if you are good/best there is nothing wrong
with saying it. Do you believe in FreeBSD and its concept/stability ?
Do you believe 100% ? If yes, then act this way. If not, then why are
you using FreeBSD ? => You believe in FreeBSD!
AND do you expect the commercial vendors to think and act as polite as you do?
Promotion has NOTHING to do with being a nice guy.

>> The bleeding-edge-staying-current part is needless here, IMHO ;)
>Perhaps, but I'm trying to convey the scale through which you can decide
>how much tinkering you want, as opposed to Linux where your only choice
>is, essentially, -CURRENT.

Yes but staying-STABLE is a very nice general feature that also servers to
point out the unholy misfeature of just and only staying-CURRENT in Linux.
I don't think the low-level-dumb-user as i am, wants to stay CURRENT. So this
is no positive promotional point to the just-general interested potential
user.
BUT it is really worth mentioning in a more detailed promotional text.

>> Better mention the distribution-policy:
>> "No need to mess up with various distributions from different vendors.
>> With FreeBSD you get THE distribution, unique, welldefined and constantly
>> extended to cover the newest powertools and software. Currently there are
>> many thousand SW-packages and ports incorporated into FreeBSD-releases
>> (from A like archiver, over M like Multimedia, or S like StarOffice to Z
>> like ... (maybe zsh))."
>Hm, 'Acrobat to Zsh'...    it...could...WORK!

Acrobat is something everybody knows. Zsh is not.
Anything better for Z* than zsh ?

Malte Lance
malte@webmore.com