Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2020 04:26:32 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PC Card, gone in 13

Greg Lehey wrote:=0A=
>On Tuesday, 18 August 2020 at  1:20:56 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:=0A=
>> As discussed in the past, it's time to remove PC Card support. Not CardB=
us=0A=
>> support, but PC Card support. this is the16-bit PCMCIA stuff from long a=
go.=0A=
>> It relied on many 16-bit drivers that have since been removed from the=
=0A=
>> tree. What remains is a shadow of its former self. There used to be two=
=0A=
>> dozen or so drivers. This has dwindled down to 9, none of which are=0A=
>> especially relevant (and all of which have replacement hardware availabl=
e).=0A=
>=0A=
>I still have an old machine with PCMCIA hardware.=0A=
>=0A=
>> The drivers to be removed: an, cmx, wi, ng_bt3c=0A=
>=0A=
>Notably wi.=0A=
>=0A=
>> an and wi are old 802.11b drivers that are no longer relevant.=0A=
>=0A=
>A lot depends on the hardware, of course.  It's certainly relevant to=0A=
>my old Dell machine.=0A=
>=0A=
>> There's no systems that FreeBSD supports that are 16-bit only PC=0A=
>> Card systems.=0A=
>=0A=
>I suppose that depends on what you mean by "supports".=0A=
>=0A=
>However: these old machines all have (by modern standards) tiny=0A=
>memory.  My Dell machine has 256 MB RAM, so modern versions of FreeBSD=0A=
>just won't run on it.=0A=
FreeBSD-current works fine on my 256Mbyte i386. Building a kernel does=0A=
require patience and I'm not foolish enough to try a "make universe" on it.=
=0A=
=0A=
Having said that, I have no problem with PCMCIA going away.=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
=0A=
>  More to the point, the wi driver has been=0A=
>broken for years, so clearly nobody cares about it.  I'm in agreement=0A=
>with removing the support.  If anybody (including myself) really wants=0A=
>to run this old stuff, they can use an earlier release of FreeBSD.=0A=
>=0A=
>Greg=0A=
--=0A=
Sent from my desktop computer.=0A=
See complete headers for address and phone numbers.=0A=
This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft mail program=0A=
reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA=0A=