Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:52:09 -0700
From:      Alex Huppenthal <alex@aspenworks.com>
To:        andrew@pubnix.net
Cc:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network renumbering (Yack!)

I totally agree. It was decided that we'd take our time with the
cutover, low priority..

It was a mess, dual controllers, dual network switches, constant
interdependancy interaction between the network numbers..

The right way to do it is to renumber the network, route the two sets of
numbers, cutover everything and everyone. All within a few weeks time.
Much much more cost effective and better overall.

It's been going on for over 6 months.. I'm hoping this last push will
have it completed in a few weeks.

 -Alex

Andrew Webster wrote:

> YUCK, been there, done that.  It was a "medium to low" priority project
> that laster over 12 months.  In reflection, it was a mistake, and should
> have been done at a very high level as quickly as possible.
>
> One think that you need to be aware of (yes I know this is completely
> irrelevant to the ISP mailing list), is that if you have any NT boxes
> running WINS, you will have BIG problems with multiple IPs on these
> machines.
> You'll need to identify these systems and cut them over immediately and/or
> setup replicas of these systems on old/new networks to ease the
> transition.

> > >We're in the middle of that right now, and all I can really think of to
> > >say is..."Sorry."  :-(
> > >
> > >It's rough.  We started by giving our servers multiple IP addresses, one
> > >old and one new.  We then moved our customers over slowly - first all of
> > >the static IP addresses, and then each phone number depending on how it
> > >was tied to a router.  We hired an outside consultant to do some of our
> > >network customers, which was a mistake.
> > >
> > >You just have to be patient...:)
> >
> > I nominate this line for understatement of the month!  :-)
> >
> > Another thing to consider it taking this as an opportunity to start
> > using DHCP for all non-server systems.  You might even want to use
> > it on some of your servers, though I haven't felt that brave yet.
> > This seems like a good idea even if you're not using dynamic addresses
> > since it puts all the network configuration info in one place where
> > it's easy to change when you need to.
> >
> > -Mitch

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
> >

> ---
> Andrew Webster     FULL SERVICE ISP
> President          http://www.pubnix.net
> PubNIX Inc.        Access: PPP - SHELL - UUCP - VPN - ...
> P.O. Box 147       Hosting: WWW - Email - DB - Your Servers  - ...
> C.S.L. QC H4V 2Y3  tel: 514-990-5911 fax: 514-990-9443

\\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Alex Huppenthal
\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\
alex@aspenworks.com
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\