Date:      Wed, 18 May 2011 18:48:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
To:        Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?C=2E_Bergstr=F6m?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>, freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PathDB (non GPL/GNU debugger) ported to FreeBSD !

=0A--- On Wed, 5/18/11, Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net> wrote:=0A=0A> =
=0A> Sorry - no offense and just my point of view. PathDB may be=0A> nice b=
ut there is nothing that is utterly apparent to be=0A> already ported to Fr=
eeBSD as your subject implies. So I=0A> went through all the links and most=
 everything I see keeps=0A> pointing at linux this and linux that then chec=
ked out the=0A> source which has a bunch of gmake(1) files scattered=0A> th=
roughout and what looks to be deepdencies on GNU GCC libs=0A> and such.=0A=
=0AWell .. the posting was not really mine (it was copy-pasted=0Afrom NetBS=
D's tech-toolchain) but there are two things=0Ato note:=0A=0A- It is WIP, a=
nd we certainly have to thank Pathscale for=0Ataking the time to port their=
 stuff to FreeBSD.=0A- That it uses gmake is not a showstopper. My=0Aunders=
tanding is that when the port is finished it will=0Alive in the ports tree =
but if we *really* like it a lot=0Acleaning up the build is not difficult.=
=0A=0A> Maybe I hit the Linux repo instead of the FreeBSD one ? did=0A> I=
=0A> misunderstand and '!' is supposed to be '?' in the subject=0A> ?.=0A>=
=0ARight now we need options. A specific problem report=0Abuilding it along=
 with your platform information (or=0Aeven better a fix) would be a lot mor=
e constructive.=0A=0A =0A> Anyway... seeing as clang/llvm is the compiler o=
f choice=0A> for those on=0A> 9-CURRENT its probably worth noting that link=
 [1] would=0A> probably be more=0A> worthwhile supporting rather than somet=
hing that hasnt been=0A> ported=0A> already. Also to note it seems clearly =
better documented.=0A> =0A> 1). http://lldb.llvm.org/status.html=0A>=0A=0AA=
nd I wish to see more people working on LLDB, but when I see=0Asomeone work=
ing on an alternative and asking for feedback=0Ait certainly doesn't hurt t=
o take a look.=0A=0AFurthermore if we could also have a Solaris MDB port wi=
th=0Afull Dtrace support that would be really great, and if=0Asomeone finds=
 the code for dbx and decides to work on it=0AI'll be glad about that too.=
=0A=0APedro.