Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:16:57 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: System Tuning/Sysadmins

With the exception of the lone computer that I have here at home, building
a system from the ground up is a luxury that I've never had.  In the
workplace, I've always had my computer's specifications spelled out for me
before I ever got to it, and in some cases I inherited someone else's
computer.  Fortunately, I'm not a UNIX admin, so my needs are limited to
"get the computer to do blah, blah" more than fixing anything.  And once
I've got it working using a GUI or script or anything else, I moved on to
the next "to do" item and never looked back.

The UNIX gurus that I've seen on this list and other places are usually
people who are paid to set up and fix such systems.  (I'm still undecided
whether these folks are lucky or not.)  Otherwise they're people who seem
to just love UNIX.  But out there on the fringes are people like me who
really don't know the difference between the services and inet.d files,
people who just know that UNIX makes the best darn FTP/mail/other server
we've ever had.

--Chip Morton