Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 20:23:35 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux world contemplate packages ...

> I just saw this on slashdot.org:
>
>   http://slashdot.org/articles/9804041623214.shtml

Blech.  I don't participate in dicussions there because their
braindead (sorry, braindead) discussion threader makes it too darn
difficult to figure out where the discussion is at any given point and
which of the many independent threads one should reply to.  It's just
not worth the hassle when I can just stick to NEWS (which has its own
problems, yes, but at least they're tractable ones for me).

In any case, I don't see anything in any of the discussion there that
hasn't been said before and in considerably more detail.  Everyone
basically knows what the All Singing All Dancing package manager of
the future is supposed to do and they also know that RPMs, DEBs TGZs
and all the other current packaging formats are *first generation*
efforts which are deeply in need of moving on to the second generation.

Even the staunchest adherent to any of the current package standards
will admit that there's a growing list of wish list items for their
pet standard, some of which are quite important (like signatures,
better "auditing" of changes, improved [or any] provisions for
updates, etc), that really need to go into the 2nd generation effort.
We finished our own 1st generation packaging technology several years
back and are now simply struggling with having become stuck on our way
to implementing the 2nd. :(

In any case, it's forward rather than lateral movement that we need
right now and switching to someone else's 1st generation technology
would be an example of lateral (if not backward) movement.

- Jordan