Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 10:42:10 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Upcoming 4.6.1

Well, I felt that if you went through the trouble of creating a 'release'
then you should check to see what is important to upgrade and what is not.
The main thing is that a 'point' or minor release (e.g. v4.6.x.x not v4.x or
major releases (v4.0 vs v5.0), usually doesn't do a port/package sweep of
upgrades (time-consuming to some).
I was told to ask for the major stuff now before v4.7-R.

The ATA patches and other "can't live without" patches are within reason of
time to implement. Changing the ports/packages whenever the wind blows can
be time consuming if not managed correctly (imagine all those dependencies
to monitor too).

Even Sun has a hard time keeping Solaris up to date with all those patches
to the OS (bi-monthly) and Sun PAYS their engineers/developers to do that.
You deal with Sol8 10/01 vs. Sol8 02/02 and all those bi-monthly patches
in-between.

I've focused my attention on only the 'first' ISO image and whatever is on
that disc. Then, I've focused on the snapshot images and ONLY what I see on
those discs.

I talked about OpenSSH, OpenSSL, tar, and perl since these are on the
snapshot images as well as Xfree86 (5.0 put perl in port/packages and off
the main snapshot). The ATA patch is one of those higher priority list items
as well as a kernel crash issue. I made a request for people to go through
usr/bin and any other bin command just to see if an update is needed.

Just my wooden nickels...
-K