Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:06:42 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: URL and Opinions on how to really learn something

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 09:57:31PM -0400, Malartre wrote:

> A little project to "concatenate" free tutorials from the web, with a
> little bit of re-design.

Can you explain this a bit more?

> I know Unix is supposed to be really open, but
> who care of having tcsh, bash, ksh, ash, sh, csh zsh blah blah
> blaaaaaaaaaaah! I'm going crazy.

It's a problem, because everyone wants to use a different shell.
Most people seem to use bash, but there's a lot of people using the
others, and they need instructions too.

At this stage it doesn't matter much for me. Any shell is the same as
any other, as long as it has a command history, and even sh can do that.
I don't use any of the fancy shell features that make one shell
different to another. Maybe that's because nothing I've read has made
it real for me.

> My dream is a FreeBSD "simulator".
> In the Apple Corp way! You start the simulator, then, the black screen
> split in two:In the upper screen, there is instruction, in the
> downscreen, you try the instruction. A kind of step by step/interactive
> way to learn it.
> Well, it's a dream, so I think I will return to my C "hello, world"
> tutorial.

Hehe, I did exactly that a few years ago, when "Internet" round here
meant a 300bps (or 2400 if you're lucky) connection to a hostile unix
machine with no support. On a BBS, I set up a simulation of a shell
account that some people were using. If they typed anything wrong,
they'd get hints up the top. If they typed the right thing, they'd get
a response similar to the unix machine. It helped people get over their
nerves because they believed that nothing they did on my system could
do damage and they got the practice they needed. I concluded, though,
that the amount of benefit wasn't enough to justify its maintenance. It
was written in a dumb text editor with hand-typed control codes that
sent instructions to the BBS software. Yech! Unix is never *that* hard!

> Finaly, the shell should be sh. I think it's simply "the basic" shell.
> ---blah blah MS-DOS (sometimes) rocks---

Bleagh! :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-