Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:32:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> > Nothing to be ashamed of.  Two of the largest networks in the world,
> > IBM and ans.net, use UNIX-based routers running gated.
>
> 	Really?  I thought they used Cisco's or Cascade.

No.  ans.net has two separate autonomous systems, one (AS690) using
gated boxes and the other (just being implemented, I think), using
Bay routers.

Both IBM and ANS are members of the gated consortium.

> > Other problems: the logic for each port is on a small daughterboard.
> > This is held in only by friction.  There is a device below one of the
> > daughterboards -- the one for port 0, unfortunately -- that is too
> > high (because it is socketed), so you can't get the daughterboard all
> > the way in without causing it to bow.  Then over time it gradually works
> > its way out.
>
> 	So it actually has physical problems that can be costly over time?

The daughterboard works its way loose.

> 	Hmmm, I emailed Dennis at ET and the only problem we had was the
> COD only policy for payment.

I think that support at ET has improved considerably.  I could be wrong ;-)

> 	Hmmm, what are the differences between the two cards anyways?

Nothing much, as far as I can see, in terms of functionality.  That is,
they do the same job.

> We're gonna have either a Full T1 or a Frame Relay T1.  So the SDL card
> doesn't support FR?

There is no FreeBSD driver that handles frame relay.  It's not a problem
with the card.  There _are_ BSD/OS and Linux drivers for SDL.

>                     As for the SDL, is the RiscSomething mentioned on the
> ET homepage actually the SDL card?

Oh, probably.  Dennis is given to slamming the opposition.  The full
name of the dual-port card is the RISCom N2d.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015