Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 03:39:16 +0100
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Dear/Beste Terry,

>> > But I'm allowed to slam the door, right?
>>
>> It's your door. It's their mouth. The analogy doesn't apply in an
>> electronic medium. Controlling another's communication is not
>> honorable. Tuning out unwanted communication is honorable. The
>> distinction is obvious, even if you don't want it to be.

> Making my mail server not accept connections from their IP address
> is the same as locking my door.

You who have rented a house with a door. The salesperson who comes by
to sell you a product. He sell product that help you stop smoking. You
however don't smoke. The salesman talk is mandatory and so is the cost
that goes with it.

Some of the house owners came up with a design to keep the bad wolfs,
i mean salespersons out. There doors keep the salespersons always out.

Some time later, some other house owners came up with another design
that lets you decide if you wasn't the salespersons out.

You have tree choices. 1) Rent from a house owner without a lock. 2)
Rent from a house owner with a always on lock. 3) Rent from a house
owner with a option to lock.

Dave wants that all house owners release option 2 for option 3 and
thus option 2 will no longer be available. However the house owners
who implemented option two doesn't force you any more than that a
care salesmen force you not to ride on water.

--
Best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex