Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:30:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail going commercial, and ?

On 17-Mar-98 Marco Molteni wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
>> On 17-Mar-98 Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>>
>> >       show a little kindness.
>>
>> OK.  Sorry for the glee.  This program has been wonderful, and it is
>> wonderful that it had been.
>>
>> >       plus it aint no sure thang that we are replacing it.
>>
>> Don't lose hope :-)
>>
>> Simon Shapiro
>
> Simon, I really *enjoyed* your reply ;-)
> I feel well when I heard that I'm not the only one to dislike sendmail.

Thanx.  I think sendmail is worth studying.  Itis typical Unix thing.  The
original set of goals was never fully studied (the let's hack code first.
Ask why later).  The design happened along the way (efficiency, security,
scalability, and lack thereof).  To add insult to injury, the configuration
``language'' was optimized for the machine, not for the human, totally
missing the purpose of computers and sooftware (to serve us mortals).

Just like vi (raise a racket, Simon :-), it sort of happened where there
was a void, and got established.  Later on, the scientists came in and
built a theory around the thing.

If there was any money in it (to pay the bills while I do it), I'd write a
replacement.  I've done it once before and it worked real well.  But that
was for a proprietary contract.  Enough time has passed, though...