Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:15:58 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012295759.4128c2@mired.org>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")

Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd@over-yonder.net> types:
> It works apparently smoothly in the best-case.  In most simple-cases, it
> won't feel worse than rough-around-the-edges.  Start making mistakes, or
> trying to get intricate, though, and it feels rather like wearing your
> high school sweater to your 30th reunion.

Since we're reciting history - I've been doing Unix installs since
v6. I started using BSD with 4.0, and FreeBSD with 3.0 - which was
also the first time I ever dealt with Wintel hardware. I've installed
Unix on PDP-11/34's and Cray X/MPs, and lots of strange things in
between. I've installed MS OS's from DOS through Windows ME, including
Windows For Workgroups to create a networked classroom just downhill
from a glacier 6 degrees from the equator. I've also installed MacOS,
AmigaDOS and some other odds and ends. I've also dealth with NetBSD
and a number of different Linux distributions.

You know what - Matthew paragraph needs one more sentence after the
second one: "In complex cases, you can get confused and make mistakes,
but you can get the job done." With that addition, the paragraph
describes the best of them. There were a few that don't get you into
trouble if you make a mistake - but they also don't handle the complex
cases at all, and make handling even the simpler cases that weren't
the default painfull. The worst of them did that, and gave you a
default case that no sane sysadmin would use.

In other words, it's nothing to be ashamed of. That doesn't mean it
doesn't need improvement; it just means that every installer I've ever
run into needs improvement.

	<mike